When I first made these cookies, I knew my hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie was over. I also had over 30 cookies and half a batch of dough left. I had recently read Pioneer Woman’s post about slice and bake cookies, and decided that this would be necessary.
It is a wonderful thing to be able to have a cookie craving and know that this can be satisfied in less than 15 minutes…without consulting a certain dough boy.
3.5 c all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 350g bag (or less, if desired) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Part I: Preparing the cookie dough
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer with a paddle attachment (or hand mixer), cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 24-36 hours. A painfully important step.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough (I use 1 TBSP scoop) onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to appear slightly golden. 8 minutes is usually enough for my oven. They will appear puffy and possibly underdone, but trust it. It will lead you to a soft cookie when cooled.
Part II: Preparing your cookie dough reserve
- Lay out a long piece of saran wrap (or two).
- Place remaining dough on saran wrap and begin to roll a log. Be persistent and roll to diameter of choice. I usually roll until the diameter is between 4-5cm.
- Wrap log in saran wrap and place in freezer. When the call for cookies arrives, slice about 0.75cm thick and arrange on cookie sheet. They won’t look as picturesque as when ‘dropped’, but when a girl/guy wants a cookie, aesthetics is the last thing that matters
- Cook as directed above!