This salad has got it goin’ on. It really does have all the things that could ever make a salad delicious. It is definitely on the more indulgent side of dinner salads, but what better way to get your 8-10 daily servings of fruit and vegetables. It’s also very adaptable depending on what your taste preferences or what you’ve got in your fridge; don’t hesitate to tweak it.
5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 chicken breast, cooked (we poached) and chopped
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
3 eggs, hard boiled*
1 cup black beans
½- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ avocado, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 coloured pepper, diced
¼ cup diced cucumber
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
about 4 cups baby spinach
Juice of one lime
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
Salt and pepper
- Prepare all ingredients. We started with the chicken, and used the same pot to prepare the hard boiled eggs. While the eggs were on we cooked the bacon and diced all the vegetables.
- Combine chicken and barbeque sauce.
- Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients.
- Assemble as desired. You can assemble on each plate, or toss it all together.
* My favourite way to hard boil and egg that works every time:
Place eggs in a saucepan and fill with water until eggs are covered. Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and cover with lid for 10 minutes. Pour out hot water and replace with cold water and a half dozen ice cubes. Let sit until cooled. Remove the shell and enjoy.
Source: Adapted from The Kitchn